Around our house, (s)he who cooks doesn’t clean up. Personally, I think it’s a great rule, especially considering my messy cooking ways. This is one of those rules where both Ben and I feel like we each win and have the preferred task. I usually do my grocery shopping on the weekends, but sometimes there is an ingredient that needs picked up on the way home. Once I’ve made any detours for dinner ingredients and made dinner, I am absolutely in need of a break. Ben on the other hand enjoys the fact that he can take his time getting home from work and take over the dinner dishes afterwards.
The last few weeks have been a serious adjustment around here. With Ben back in school two nights a week, I find myself cooking as well as performing dish duty and let me just tell you, I will never take my dish washer (Ben) or dishwasher (the appliance) for granted ever again. In fact, for these two nights a week, I find myself thinking about dinner differently. The word I would use to describe the Monday and Wednesday meals is simple. Tasty, but definitely simple and in as few dishes as possible.
That’s what makes me so excited to share this dish with you. It comes together in under 20 minutes on the stovetop and uses only 2 pots. This dinner, aside from the pasta, is really a one pot wonder with protein and veggies all mixed together. Now that is awesome.
Chicken and Kale Penne with Sun-dried Tomatoes is a go to meal around here. Because the dish is loaded with kale, I don’t feel bad about eating tons of this pasta and I often take the leftovers for lunch the next day.
I hope you enjoy this dinner as much as I do. I recently discovered baby kale and I love using it in pasta dishes, salads and more. If you cannot find it, you are welcome to use other varieties of kale. Just make sure you chop the other varieties into small pieces.
But seriously, look how cute this baby kale is!
Start by bringing a pot of water to a boil and adding the penne pasta and salt to season the water.
In the meantime, add the chopped garlic cloves to a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the garlic is translucent, add the baby kale to the skillet.
Once the kale is wilted, add the sun-dried tomatoes.
Add the red pepper flakes and salt to the kale mixture.
Add the shredded chicken to the kale mixture and toss to combine.
At this point, your pasta should be just about al dente. Reserve a cup of pasta water and set aside.
Drain the pasta and add it to the kale and chicken mixture. Toss to combine and add the pasta water to moisten the mixture.
Add the parmesan cheese. Toss to combine and enjoy this nutrient packed dinner.
Chicken and Kale Penne Pasta with Sun-dried Tomatoes comes together in just a few minutes and is a nutritious all in one dish.
- 1 rotisserie chicken breast, shredded
- 7 oz baby kale
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 heaping tablespoons sun dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 1/4 lb penne pasta
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Salt the pasta water and add the pasta.
- In the meantime, add the garlic and the olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Allow the garlic to soften slightly and add the kale. Sauté the kale until wilted and then add the sun dried tomatoes. Add the red pepper flakes and salt.
- Add the shredded chicken to the kale mixture.
- Once the pasta is cooked al dente, remove 3/4 cup of pasta water and set aside. Drain the pasta and add to the kale and chicken mixture. Toss to combine. Add the parmesan cheese. If the pasta mixture is too dry, add pasta water and toss to combine until it is slightly saucy.