Garden Update

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponPin on PinterestShare on Google+Share on FacebookEmail this to someone

Let me start off by saying I wish I had more to report. It’s been slow going in the Bites of Bri Vegetable Garden this season. Unfortunately, the garden has been planted for over two months and we are just starting to see some growth. I haven’t caught the culprit yet, but we’ve had some rabbits in the garden that seem to enjoy the endless dinner buffet. As you can imagine, this has seriously stunted the garden’s growth. Not to fear! For the past few weeks, I’ve been sprinkling the veggies with cayenne and this trick seems to be working.

For those of you that know of my deer struggles of years past, I’ve had some great luck this year with two new products. The first product is a deer tape (<–affiliate link) that protects the perimeter of the yard. Our hydrangea are huge and prior to this year, I didn’t even know it because they were constantly getting mowed down by deer. We’ve seen deer around the perimeter of the yard, but we’ve only seen them enter it once! This is huge news considering that they’re usually hanging out in our garden chewing away. The other product is a deer spray (<–affiliate link) that you can spray on plants and to refresh the repellant on the deer tape. Unlike most other sprays I’ve tried in the past, this spray is not offensive to use. It smells slightly herby and is pleasant instead of pungent. It lasts about 30 days before you need to reapply.

And now, on to the garden vegetables! The lettuces are looking great and I see caesar salad in our future.

IMG_8896-2

The tomato plants are really growing and they even have a few small flowers and green tomatoes. I’m thinking they should explode soon with all of this rain we’ve had.

IMG_8898-2

The lacinato kale is doing well too, even though it was really popular with the bunnies and they basically decimated it a few weeks back.

IMG_8899-2

The herbs are doing really well too, minus the parsley that seems to be having a hard time recovering from the attack of the ravenous rabbits.

IMG_8902-2   IMG_8905-2

This is the tactic for rabbit defense…seems to be working so far.

IMG_8908-2

Next time I check in, I hope to have some vegetables to harvest…:)

Comments

1. says

Hi Bri!

I love your garden, thanks for sharing your pics with us. Ohhhh, those stinkin’ rabbits. They’re so cute though so I have a hard time using the cayenne pepper, but I know a lot of people who say it works.

There’s nothing like fresh grown tomatoes…is there? And herbs, fresh ones are to die for. You being a cook maybe can appreciate them more than me who just sniffs them.

Please post some good salad recipes as I have a ton coming in! Eager to see what you come up with. Have a wonderful week =)

• Bri says

Hi Laura, I hope that I can keep up with the garden once it starts producing. I have a salad coming later this week as a matter of fact and a few more ideas after that! Have a good week!

2. says

Looks like your garden is off to a great start! I would be eating a lot of caesar salads, too if I had that lettuce! What did you sprinkle on that plant for rabbit defense? Hopefully it works for you! I don’t have a garden this year, but have had troubles with rabbits in the past.

• Bri says

Gayle, I sprinkled cayenne on the plants themselves and black pepper around the perimeter. Since it’s organic gardening, I didn’t want to use any sprays, etc.

3. Karen says

Bri,

I don’t know your email address, but I am going to forward some photos I just took to Ben so that you can see our fencing. They don’t sell it anywhere around Williamsburg and we had to drive to Agri Supply in Petersburg (55 miles away) to buy it. It is 3 feet high, hexagonal and has a heavy coating. We are able to keep all bunnies and Randolph and Ben out of our main garden and also Mike’s self-watering bins. You can only buy 150 ft. of it and I think the cost was around $60. If you are interested, I’ll find out the name of the fencing. The ONLY place that sells it is Agri Supply and I’m not sure if there’s one in your area. We are growing like crazy!

• Karen says

I think Agri Supply also sells it in 6″ rolls. It’s worth the drive and it works. Mike found out about it because it’s used in the Botanical Gardens at Freedom Park in Williamsburg, just down the road. All of their veggies, herbs and plants are totally free of critters and deer. The Botanical Gardens bought their fencing from a place in Massachusetts, but when Mike called them, they didn’t have it anymore. Agri Supply happens to be a total farmer’s store … it’s really down home!

4. says

Bri your garden looks wonderful! That lettuce will be perfect for Caesar salads and your herbs look amazing. I started my vegetable/herb garden a few weeks ago and it’s doing pretty good so far. I’m glad you brought up the cayenne tip because I know I will have rabbit/squirrel/bird problems soon!

• Bri says

Danae, glad to hear that your garden is doing well too. Some people aren’t fans of the cayenne method, but it seems to keep them far away so hopefully it isn’t too cruel.

• Karen says

Nope, it’s not cruel … I’ve used cayenne before and they just leave the plants alone. It does work, but you gotta stay on top of it and keep applying more.

• Bri says

Ami, having a garden is so fun! I love going out there and finding veggies and herbs ready to pick, even if they do sometimes get eaten by the animals.

5. says

Your garden looks great!! I’m jealous of all the space you guys have! I just have a few things growing, but it is so exciting once they are finally ready to be harvested! There is a neighborhood cat who loves to use one of my gardens as a litter box, and I think I have something else that likes to munch on the plants. That is a great tip about using the cayenne, I’ll have to try that! Happy gardening :)

6. says

Oh boy, you have some visitors to your garden, huh?! It’s super weird… there’s a rabbit that lived under our shed (our old house), but never did he try to eat anything in our veggie garden. It was like the nicest rabbit ever hahaha!

Thanks for sharing your garden with us! Can’t wait to see lots of yum with all those tomatoes you’ll have!

7. says

Hello, what a lovely blog. Your presentation of the food you make is really appealing.

The links to the deep tape did not work. Some nearby friends of mine are trying to garden with deep aplenty. We are in California so I will look around out here. best to you.